CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday 6 July 2012

Books 13 & 14 - The Dead Girls Dance, House Rules (Rachel Caine, Jodi Picoult)

I need to step up my game, we're halfway through the year and I am no where near halfway through the challenge! I have a stack of books to get through though so fingers crossed I am going to be able to make up the time and get this challenge completed by the time Big Ben rings in 2013.

I have completed books 13 and 14 of the challenge, as detailed below...

(Morganville Vampires) THE DEAD GIRLS' DANCE - Rachel Caine

Honestly, I really struggled with this one. It took me ages to read because it just wasn't holding my interest. There was a lot going on, it was a very busy story, but nothing really seemed to 'happen' and it seemed to go in circles for a while before eventually coming to a conclusion. I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first and I am unsure if I will continue to read the rest of the series.




HOUSE RULES - Jodi Picoult

As I have said before, I am a huge JP fan and I haven't read a book of hers that I haven't enjoyed. As a parent of a child with Autism this story, that of a teenage boy named Jacob who has Asperger's and is accused of murder, appealed to me on a personal level and I was keen to read it. There was one small thing that I was slightly disappointed about, in that Jacob's mother seemed to be very isolated and have no friends at all, whereas from my own personal experience, I find that parents of children on the spectrum actually tend to reach out to other parents who understand them, parents with children also on the spectrum. I felt she could have perhaps drawn on that for support during Jacob's court case. Parents of special & additional needs children almost have their own community and are certainly keen to aid those in need so it would have been nice to have had that included in some way. Besides that, it was a deeply moving story and I really felt that JP told this tale beautifully and sensitively. The book moved me to tears on a couple of occasions, it really tugged at the heart strings and made me consider the teenage & adult years for my son. A good story, well told.

0 comments:

Post a Comment